Idaho has worked with 47 other states, two territories and the District of Columbia over the past year to develop these more rigorous, common standards in math and English language arts that are comparable with any country around the world. Thirty-five states and the District of Columbia have already adopted the Common Core State Standards.
“The Common Core State Standards are a voluntary, state-led effort to help ensure Idaho has a public education system that prepares all students to be successful in life after high school,” Superintendent of Public Instruction Tom Luna said. “Idaho students are ready for this challenge.”
Idaho initially signed on to join the Common Core State Standards Initiative in June 2009. This Initiative builds directly on previous efforts of leading organizations and states that have focused on developing college- and career-ready standards. After a series of drafts, public comment periods and revisions, the final Common Core State Standards were published on June 2, 2010.
Adopting the Common Core State Standards is voluntary. Idaho is using the same process to adopt the proposed Common Core State Standards as it uses to adopt content standards each year.
The proposed standards were initially approved by the Idaho State Board of Education in August and are now available for public comment. The standards will go back before the State Board for official approval in November. If approved, the standards will go to the Idaho Legislature in January 2011 for final approval.
Content area experts in math and English language arts from the State Department of Education will be traveling across the state in September to explain how the Common Core State Standards in mathematics and English compare to Idaho’s current standards and to answer questions and gather feedback.
These meetings are open to the public. Teachers, school administrators, parents, community members, and others are invited to attend.
Here is the schedule for the Common Core State Standards Regional Public Meetings:
- September 14: 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. in Idaho Falls (Ammon), Hillcrest High School, Library
- September 15: 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. in Pocatello, Idaho State University, Student Union Building Selway Room
- September 16: 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. in Twin Falls, Canyon Ridge High School, Room 301
- September 22: 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. in Coeur d’Alene, North Idaho College, Student Union Building
- September 23: 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. in Lewiston, Lewis-Clark State College, Sacajawea Room 112
- September 29: 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. in Meridian, Mountain View High School, Lecture Hall
~ Melissa M.